Monday, May 19, 2014

A pianist and His unrevealed Dreams

The time when I first decided to learn music, I was introduced to an aspiring,young & enthusiastic Pianist Mr.Mahan
We started chatting about who inspired us, and who we were listening to , at that time.
We shared similar tastes in music and though it was a nice conversation, when i mentioned that i had plans to study music full time in London school.
‘Why would you want to do that?’ he asked disapprovingly, followed by "That’s not something I would ever do" was not a receptive answer .
I was expecting an appreciation or something like that !
Not the reaction I was expecting.
As the conversation progressed a little, it became clear that he felt this way, Not for any sensible reasons such as the time and money I would have to spend up to my venture.
He believed ‘learning’ Piano was a bad thing and should be avoided.
He had strong opinions about this.
He believed that taking lessons was some-how cheating.
He believed that even the best contemporary music colleges churn out musicians that all sound the same.
He also believed that studying music would somehow destroy
some kind of musical magic from within,
well now i understand he was right.
Sometimes I recall that conversation with the aspiring pianist I met years ago and wonder if he still hold on to his beliefs Does he even play piano these days? Maybe I’ll meet him up one day and find out.
We all are uniquely talented, unquestionably, but speaking personally I would never have come anywhere near where i am now without the guidance of all those musical magicians I’ve been fortunate enough to learn from.
Whatever your interests and aspirations, your talents are just at the starting point. You have to nurture and develop them all by yourself. . .

3 comments: